Cannabis tinctures are alcohol extractions of whole cannabis (typically of the flowers and trim leaves), and an extraction of active cannabinoids from the plant material. Although not a new cannabis product, tinctures had been one of the less popular ways of consuming marijuana for years. However, prior to the United States enacting cannabis prohibition in 1937, tinctures were the primary form of cannabis medicine.
Growing in reputation, the most effective, and most common way to use tinctures is under the tongue (sublingually). An advantage to tinctures and extract preparations is their simplicity in dispensing, consumption and absorption. Cannabis tinctures have been found as a great entry point for recreational and medical users looking to ease into smokeless consumption methods.
BENEFITS OF CANNABIS TINCTURES
- Cannabis tinctures contain all 80 of the essential cannabinoids, with some known to actually reduce the psychoactive effects of THC.
- Unlike edibles, the effects of cannabis tinctures can be felt rather quickly, typically within 15 minutes of consumption.
- Cannabis tinctures provide a great smokeless alternative to typical consumption methods.
- Sealed tinctures produce no smell or smoke.
- Unlike cooked cannabis products or edibles, tinctures provide consistent titration or dosages.
- Tinctures can be flavored for better taste.
- Users can incorporate cannabis tinctures into many meals, drinks and food-based items
TINCTURES IN MEDICAL MARIJUANA
Many patients who could benefit from medical marijuana effects do not wish to smoke, whether it is because of the perceived health hazards of smoking, or for other personal reasons. Cannabis tinctures address this problem while still producing all of the benefits of medical marijuana, if not more.
For patients who are new to medical marijuana and its effects, tinctures keep dosages simple because it is so easy to self-titrate, or measure. Titration is easily achieved by the number of drops a patient uses. Medicine is rapidly absorbed into the arterial systems when placed under the tongue, which quickly transports it to the brain and body. Once consumed, noticeable effects appear within 15 minutes, and typically felt completely within a half hour.
With tinctures having the advantage in dispensing, consumption and absorption, it’s no surprise that this consumption method has been growing in popularity. If you’re looking for a smokeless consumption method, cannabis tinctures deliver all the same benefits with even quicker effects.